coneflowers -- a new botanical watercolor painting

A few weeks ago I wrote about the stillness and joy of mixing colors for a coneflower painting.

coneflowers, echinacea, vintage mug, flowers, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Now that the painting is finished and photographed (and in my shop), I thought I'd share it here.

coneflowers, watercolor coneflowers, echinacea, echinacea painting, floral watercolor, botanical illustration, botanical watercolor, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry


This was one of the slowest paintings I've done for a long time. So many things going on. So many distractions.

coneflowers, watercolor coneflowers, echinacea, echinacea painting, floral watercolor, botanical illustration, botanical watercolor, painting process, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

During this strange, difficult year I've lost my rhythm. It's taking me a long time to re-design my schedule, my routines, to create balance and flow. I haven't gotten there yet.

Things might have been discombobulated, but having this painting on the table in my studio brought me joy. It was a joy to work on. The colors. The movement of the paint. The details added bit by bit.

My flower models had to be replaced three times during the duration of this painting.

But eventually it was finished.

coneflowers, watercolor coneflowers, echinacea, echinacea painting, floral watercolor, botanical illustration, botanical watercolor, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

And scanned. And signed.

coneflowers, watercolor coneflowers, echinacea, echinacea painting, floral watercolor, botanical illustration, botanical watercolor, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

And photographed.

coneflowers, watercolor coneflowers, echinacea, echinacea painting, floral watercolor, botanical illustration, botanical watercolor, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Some things take time.

One thing painting has taught me is patience.

Wishing you plenty of both. Have a lovely weekend.

p.s. I also managed to create some prints of this one, too. They're available in my Etsy shop.

coneflowers, botanical art prints, watercolor coneflowers, Etsy, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Comments

  1. Taking your time certainly paid off. The painting is full of life - almost as though the flowers are dancing with joy! The yellow one is the star of the show flaunting her petals for all to see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simone, for your kind words! I'm so glad you like the painting!

      Hope you're having a lovely week!

      Delete

Post a Comment