welcome, 2015, a year to FLOURISH

Hello, 2015. Welcome. 

It feels good to have the whole year spread out before me, empty. Blank. Full of possibility.

black and white photo of two empty paint palettes

I cleaned my paint palettes on New Year's Eve, preparing for a fresh start to 2015. It felt good. I enjoy preparation. Taking time. Getting ready. I think I'm ready for 2015. I think it's going to be a great year.

I discovered my word sometime this late fall. I can't remember what exactly I was doing, but I was sitting at my computer working on something. Something that had nothing to do with the word. It just popped into my head. I wrote it on a scrap of paper and clipped it to the shelf inside my desk as a reminder. The word felt so right:

word flourish written in script for the Word of the Year

flourish*

intransitive verb

1. : to grow luxuriantly : THRIVE

2. a : to achieve success : PROSPER
b : to be in an a state of activity or production
c : to reach a height of development or influence

3. : to make bold and sweeping gestures

transitive verb

: to wield with dramatic gestures : BRANDISH


This morning when I sat down to write in my journal I still hadn't decided for sure which word I was going to choose. I had written a couple other possibilities in my notebook. They were all similar, but each had it's own slight twist. I lit my candle and I sat and thought and read the definitions of all the words again. And I wrote in my journal.


I made candles for Christmas this year, among other things. Used soy wax and essential oils. This candle is scented with "a sweet blend of spearmint, wintergreen and lavender" (that's what I wrote on the tag). I named it "Clarity." The candle does smell sweet. It smells delicious, actually. Uplifting and happy. I don't know if it lends any extra clarity to my thoughts, but it is a welcome companion in my studio.

And so I decided, for sure, to go with my gut feeling. To choose FLOURISH as my word for the year. It's a bold, dramatic word. It's a word to live up to. I feel a bit vulnerable putting it out there, but that's all part of it, isn't it? Dreaming big. Taking risks. Daring. I think it's going to be perfect. I have a lot of great things in store for this year. I can't wait to share them with you.

Wishing you clarity as you consider your hopes and dreams and intentions for 2015.


*definition from Merriam Webster online

Comments

  1. I love the word flourish and I hope you flourish in all you do in 2015 Anne. I had no idea that you made your own candles. I really want to have a go at making my own too. The blend you used sounds delicious, fresh and uplifting. Good luck flourishing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simone! Making candles is really fun. You should try it. I used soy wax which I found so much easier to work with than other waxes. It cleans up with soap and water. I melted mine in a large tempered glass measuring cup and let it cool before mixing in the essential oils and pouring it into the jars. They burn really well and although some of the scents, being all natural, are a little lighter than others, they do smell good.

      Delete
  2. super word choice - i look forward to witnessing it all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! Wishing you the best this year, too. I'm looking forward to seeing all you do and make and create.

      Delete
  3. Great word choice! It sounds bold and expansive, good goals for a new year. It will be fun to see how it informs your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon! Looking forward to watching your journey this year, too!

      Delete
  4. Such a positive word, and your calligraphy expresses it perfectly, Anne! My word for the year - RISK! Can't wait to see how our journeys go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Judy! What an exciting word for your year!

      Delete
  5. What a great choice for this year! Perfect. And it sounds like you're doing it already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie! I feel like I've gotten a good start to the year, despite the fact that I've thrown my calendar out the window already. Haha!

      Delete
  6. Flourish is a great word, Anne. I have no doubt that you will "flourish" in 2015. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I'm very excited about my choice and about all the possibilities before me for this coming year.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for doing this every year Anne! I love having a word because you are right... words are magical.

    I tend to agree with you, your word will find you. I was playing around with two at the end of December "Awaken" and "Begin" when my word for the year literally incorrectly autocorrected itself in my iPhone. Why does autocorrect usually get it wrong?

    In this case it got it right, because even though it wasn't what I intended for my message... it became my word of 2015.

    PYROPHORIC
    - To spontaneously ignite when coming in contact with air.

    Though we think of air as the thing we breathe, it is also a persons essence, so it is to be sparked by any and everything around me.

    I love the word because, like you, I feel like 2014 was a cocoon state, slow moving, restful, time for introspection. 2015 is just the opposite - vibrant, full of energy, a time to fly and do.

    I can't wait to see how you flourish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment