garden eating: radishes




I recently pulled up the last of the radishes I planted this spring. I always intend to plant them in succession but end up planting a whole bunch at once and then not again. It just means that I have to eat a whole bunch of radishes in a short period of time. But that's ok. I used the radish tops sauteed with onions and garlic in olive oil. Added to pasta sauce they approximate spinach. I also roasted radishes a couple times this year.

First I chopped the radishes and mixed them with about tablespoon of olive oil and another tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar. I added a bit of sea salt and some freshly cut thyme and popped their dish (I used a glass pie plate) into a 400 degree oven. After about 20 minutes I turned them and roasted some more for about 10-15 minutes, checking on them every now and then to make sure they didn't overcook. The result was an intriguing combination of sweet and sour and soft and crunchy.




I ate them on their own, but they'd be good added to other dishes, too. Mixed into salads or topping pasta.

The quickest "recipe" for radishes is perfect for weather too hot for cooking. Thinly slice the radishes and layer on top of buttered bread. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and sprigs of thyme.




So good.

Comments

  1. Who knew that radishes could be so versatile? Thanks Anne - I've only ever had them raw and in salad and now I can be a bit more adventurous or/and make sure none get wasted when I've got too many :-)

    Sorry its been ages since I've visited - my normal boring excuse applies - but the sun is out and my health seems (fingers crossed) to be improving so you never know I may be a more regular visitor and blogger again soon :-)

    Hugs
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would have traded you a bunch or radishes for some of my perpetual spinach - perpetual is the word!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yumm, yumm. So great that you eat what you grow. I had a look at your instagram page, beautiful photographs Annie, you managed to capture so many beautiful moments. Thank you very much for sharing and sending you much, much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely radishes Anne. They look good enough to paint!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment