being in the moment

One of the wonderful things about creating art, or doing anything creative, really, is the fact that it forces you to be in the moment. So often we're pulled in many directions, multitasking, and our focus is anywhere but on what we're doing. But work on a creative project and our attention is momentarily captured.

Some days this is more profound than others. Some days time seems to stand still.

The other day I brought some coneflowers up to my studio to paint. Most of the flowers are past their prime, the color faded, but I wanted to capture the variety of colors and shapes before they're gone for the year.

flowers, coneflowers, echinacea, summer flowers, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

My painting process always begins with mixing paint. Such a simple act never fails to bring me joy.

coneflowers, echinacea, vintage mug, summer flowers, studio, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Connecting with the flowers. Dipping my brush into water and paint. Watching the colors develop on my palette. Testing the colors in my sketchbook.

This time working in my studio with these faded coneflowers, was especially joyful. Time did seem to stand still.

studio, watercolor, paint, paint palette, coneflowers, echinacea, sketchbook, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Matthias brought me some Gummi Bears while I worked and even their colors delighted me.

sketchbook, watercolor, watercolor palette, coneflowers, echinacea, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

I'm still working on the painting and although that process has been a bit slow going (with many distractions), I'm carrying the stillness of the other day with me. Those moments connecting with the flowers, smelling the warm, meadowy coneflower fragrance and mixing paint to match their colors.

I'm not sure how we can recreate moments like those, but I'm going to keep trying. Keep paying attention. Keep reminding myself to slow down.

I'm wishing the same for you as well.

Comments

  1. Yes.
    This stillness is especially important when we are tugged in many different directions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coneflowers are so striking. It is no wonder that you wanted to paint them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone! Sometimes I just cannot resist!

      Delete

Post a Comment